Saturday 15 December 2012

Christmas Party

Gosh.  Where does the time go?  School really has taken over for the past few months and has been all consuming.  However you will be glad to know I am still vegan and have only had one tiny slip up (who'd check a bag of nuts for milk powder? I threw them away as soon as I saw they contained cow).

Being a busy teacher and accomodating a new diet has been hard at times.  Meals do need extra effort and lunches can get repetitive.  However, if I can do it in the busy autumn term - I can do it anytime! 

I also have been slowly losing a few pounds because my eating habits are so much healthier now.  I don't crave chocolate - but I am desperately craving cheese, especially at this time of year.  Mmm, Wensleydale and cranberries... Wensleydale and pear...  cheese and crackers...

It has been about four months now and I cannot see another way of life.  Armed with my Animal Free Shopper and the tip from new Vegan friend Sally to check allergy advice as a quick way of gleening if something veggie is vegan I have been doing well.  I have a few fall back ranges of food and am a frequent visitor to VX in Kings Cross.  It is a tiny little shop stocked full of vegan foods, drinks, pet food, clothes and shoes.  It's my new Mecca.  They even sell Ms Cupcake cakes!

Last night was our staff Christmas party at the Elstree Village Hotel.  It was in the Italian restaurant, Bucca di Beppo or whatever it's called.  It was my first vegan Christmas party.  Add into the mix I am allergic to garlic and a fussy eater then things get even trickier.

There were four courses.  The first was the best, as I love avocado.  In the end though there was too much tomato (a bit hard as well) and not enough avocado.


The pasta course followed.  I had rigatoni with olive oil, a crap load of minging artichoke, a few tomatos and the tiniest slivers of black olives.  I seem to have forgotten to have taken a photo of the main course - it was the most uninspiring of the lot; a small dish of roasted peppers, artichokes and aubergines.  I ate a couple of pieces of pepper.  However, the vegetarian of the party had the same 'dish' so I hadn't particulary missed out on anything by being vegan.  I was grateful I had hoovered up most of the pasta during the previous course.  And the best thing was - it was all garlic free so I didn't get ill!

I told my companions during the meal I already knew what the dessert would be.  Fruit salad.  Guess what...





No comments:

Post a Comment