Saturday 1 June 2013

Vegan Pregnancy

You may notice I've been quiet for a while.  That is because it's been hard to write without disclosing to the world I am pregnant. Now, I don't mind you knowing - but I am not one of those people who document everything on Facebook and so have been running below the radar on my Internet presence.

I have only got four weeks or so to go now so I feel safe enough to 'come out' and talk to you about how I have found it being a pregnant vegan and comparing my experiences to others (non vegans) that I know.

This is my first child, so I have no meat eating or vegetarian eating pregnancy experiences of my own for reference, so I will reference what seem to be 'common factors' in pregnancy.

  • Morning sickness.  I didn't get any. Whether this is because I am a vegan or it's genetic luck I can't be sure (my mum never got MS either).
  • Having to avoid certain foods.  Have you looked at the list of 'banned' foods? There is nothing on there a vegan would eat anyway. Fantastic.
  • Constipation. A very common pregnancy symptom. I've had none. Regular and trouble free.
  • Heartburn. Another very common symptom, especially over here in the third trimester.  None.
  • Weight gain. I've gained a stone over my 35 and a bit weeks.  The baby weighs about five pounds by now, add about three for the placenta, a couple for the fluid and the rest is extra blood volume and technically I haven't gained weight - baby has!
  • Exercise and energy. Okay I have been tired. I was working out at the gym with a trainer until 28 weeks but what actually stopped me was lack of money - baby things are expensive! I am still working full time and people tell me I look good.  For the past two weeks though I have felt as if I've been carrying a bag of potatoes about with me!
I have supplemented my diet with vitamins as every expectant mother does. To be honest I could have found many of these vitamins naturally in food, but it has given me peace of mind to add the vitamins in tablet form as well.  I've been taking the standard Boots pregancy vitamins (vegan friendly) and also B12, Iron & Vitamin C and also a Vegan omega 3 from Sainsburys because there is only so much flaxseed oil I can take on my salad!

Bubba has (touch wood) been doing well in every test and scan.  My iron levels have been good and I 'passed' the GTT for gestational diabetes.

No medical professional has asked me about my diet, although I have listed it on my notes and birth plan.  No one seems worried.

I honestly feel I have done better than a lot of people do - again some of this may be luck.  I still have four weeks + to go so let's hope I haven't jinxed anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment