Saturday 3 August 2013

Vegan baby

Well, she's here!  Eden Rose was born three weeks ago now and is doing well.  She is, obviously, taking up much of my time so I can't write at length.  I just want to allay a few fears people may have about a vegan pregnancy.

Iron levels: several non vegan people I chat to on line had to have iron supplements or even blood transfusions after giving birth.  I lost a litre of blood and my iron levels were fine.

Birth weight: some people thought I was going to have a titchy, underweight baby.  She was nine three (ouch) and has put on a pound since then.

Colic: I'm interested to read that when babies get colic one of the first options given to mothers is to cut out dairy as it can irritate a lot of children who have trouble digesting it.  Perhaps we are not designed to eat it then?

Breast feeding: this is hard and it hurts. Being on demand 24/7 is also a challenge.  I can't tell you how much sympathy this has given me for dairy cows.  At least I know there will be an end for me and I am nurturing my child.  A dairy cow has her child stolen from her and lactates her whole life.  A while life spent engorged and in agony?  No thanks.

Health: we are both doing well.  Breast feeding means she gets everything she needs via my healthy diet and supplements and it has meant I lost my tummy and pregnancy weight within two weeks.

As she gets older she will make the choices about her lifestyle and diet, for now I can only do what I believe best for both of us.

Oh, by the way - it is my one year anniversary of being vegan.  I haven't looked back.  In that year I have:
Lost weight
Improved my skin
Fallen pregnant and had a healthy baby
Discovered vegan cake shops
Eaten at some fantastic vegan eateries (favourite so far is Manna in Primrose Hill)
And not regretted one minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment